Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"don't cry because it's over. smile because it happened."-dr. seuss


so today is my "leaving the dc life" anniversary. i don't know why i feel the need to reminisce so often, but i do. i'm attached to my memories. it's so glorious that we can relive a moment solely through remembrance. i can look back and see how i've changed, or maybe how i've stayed the same.

i see those who were permanent fixtures of my everyday, who have now faded into the background. then, there are those who have remained; who are actually brighter than they might have been when we were together. you truly gain an appreciation for those who "knew" you; the real you. i miss them. i feel as if i have changed in this past year, and not necessarily for the best. i created this persona (or maybe i really was the persona?) in dc, the person i thought was me and i feel as if i have lost her somehow. the problem is, i don't know how and i'm not sure how to get her back, but those who knew me still believe i'm the same.

this is all sounding more melancholy and tragic than i meant for it to be. i remember driving away, seeing those well-known sites that still took my breath away, knowing they would no longer be a part of my world. but i was ready. i was ready to close that chapter and begin a new one. though i often open it up again so as to see familiar faces and recall the experiences that led me to starting anew.

No comments: