Tuesday, November 6, 2007

passions

our passions are woven into our being and in many ways define us.

i have always considered myself a passionate person. that may sound a bit narcissistic, but i believe most of us are passionate about something.

i realized that i don't think most of the people that know me here in california know what i am passionate about. i wonder if they would even use that as an adjective to describe me? this thought has been quite disconcerting.


so to start, these are some of the things that i consider my passions:
-art. i fell in love with art history my freshman year of at college. those 4 years gave me the greatest gift: the ability to see beauty in everything.

-music. i don't play an instrument (ok, maybe i can pluck out a song or two on the guitar...) and i love singing, but wasn't blessed with a lovely voice. regardless, music is such a powerful force in my life. it speaks to me in a unique way whether it's the melancholy violin, rock guitar, or melodious piano.

-books. "when I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me." -w. somerset maugham. nothing could sum up my adoration for books better than this quote. it's unbelievable at times that words on a page and become woven into who i am. another quote i love: "we read to know we are not alone" (cs lewis) i read to become more. i read to connect and know that others have felt as i have and have put those feelings into words.


-languages. i am fortunate enough to be bilingual and am eternally grateful for that gift. speaking spanish has become more of a passion for me as i have grown older. i realize what a treasure it is, how it shapes me. not only do i love my first language, but i have this grandiose goal of learning all the romance languages. there is something lovely and mellifluous when hearing anything spoken in italian, french, or portugese.


-education. this is a passion that increases each day. i have taught for 4 years now and it's fascinating to observe this growth. there are days when i am ready to completely give up, but overall, i yearn to make changes, to improve, to touch the lives of those i teach. i hope to keep this passion alive always. as for myself, i am often overwhelmed at how much information and knowledge is left to acquire, but i look forward to a life of learning.

and now i realize, i have gone on long enough. bless the heart of anyone who actually reads through all of this.

some final thoughts.

passions are not only intrinsic but sparked by others. i am often drawn to those who are passionate; it doesn't matter where their passions lie. there is shear joy that can come from associating with people who have personal passions and appreciate yours.

No comments: