Tuesday, September 11, 2007

september 11, 2001


as i was driving to work this morning, listening to npr, i thought, "unbelievable. it's been 6 years?" i still can't quite fathom it. i always take this day to remember by rereading old journals and newspaper clippings. it was such a surreal experience. sitting in my house in provo, watching what seemed to be an action movie, not reality. thinking, and slowly realizing, "that tower has fallen. those buildings are gone. is this the beginning of the end?"

some of those ideas may appear dramatic, but they weren't to me. my world stood still that day, and the next, and the next...

today as we said the pledge in school, i remember saying it at my job, septmeber 12, 2001, and for the first time having it really mean something; "one nation, under god, indivisible."

and indivisible is right. i watched as the pure and best part of the human spirit rose from it's hiding spot, where it remains so often, and took charge; took over. it did, for probably one of the first times in my life, make me extremely proud to be an american.

i think about how my life is still very much the same. and how i let meaningless events and obstacles affect me. that day should have changed me more. it should be a part of me in a way that it isn't.

so on this day i remember the dead, the brave, and the ones who were left behind.

No comments: