Friday, September 7, 2007

observations on learning

i only have a few minutes, but really wanted to get my thoughts down before my next class comes in. my 7th graders have been working on an "emperor" project where they are to research and then set up a campaign for election. they started the research grudgingly (as only 7th graders can), but then something happened. i've seen them start to devour the information. they keep coming up to me and asking me if i knew this or that about one of the emperors. they are shocked at some of the unsuitable behavior and i have observed them make connections to how power changes people or how a truly good leader and remain good and noble always.

moments like these are rare in my profession, yet they are the reason why i do it. there is no other feeling like it. it makes every other normal or terrible day worthwhile. it reminds me that there is purpose to what i get up and do everyday. how did i get to be so lucky...?

No comments: